Reverse Polarity electrodes should not normally require cleaning, however, in areas with very hard water all calcium may not be removed. A calcium deposit might form on the lower areas of the electrode, the sensor or the sides of the electrode plates. This will NOT affect the operation of your system. Monitoring pH levels weekly/fortnightly and maintaining them within range will assist in less calcium build up.
All electrodes must be cleaned before scale/calcium builds up to the point where the electrode gaps in the OXI Cell become bridged. If the OXI Cell has excessive calcium deposit, this may damage the electrode coating, as the bridging on the plates affects operation. The OXI OUT % can also decrease due to excessive build up of calcium and once cleaned will return to normal levels.
- Check the OXI Cell to prevent the accumulation of pool debris that for any reason may have by-passed the pool filter, particularly after backwashing.
- Check that the O-ring is clean, greased with silicone grease (DO NOT use petroleum based jelly) and securely located in the Housing.
For cleaning, please follow these steps:
- Switch off the wall outlet switch as this ensures the pump and system will not turn on.
- Unscrew the OXI Cell Locking Ring and remove the electrode for inspection. If calcium build-up is present, immerse the electrode in cell cleaning solution.
A solution can be made by mixing 1 part hydrochloric acid to 10 parts of water. If excessive build up is present a stronger solution may be used to remove the calcium. Using 5 parts of water will make a more aggressive solution and will not damage the electrode. You can use cell cleaning solutions and if you do then follow the instructions supplied. Allow the cleaning solution to dissolve the calcium deposits for about 10 minutes. Dispose of the cleaning solution at an approved Council Depot and never into storm water or sewage drains.
- Returning this mix to your pool only returns the calcium you just removed, so you may be better off reusing the solution until exhausted then disposing of it. Always store this solution safely as advised on the container.
- Do not scratch or bend the electrode plates in the Housing.
- Ensure that the O-ring is clean, greased and properly seated.
- Rinse the electrode in clean water and re-fit the electrode in the Housing, ensuring that the Locking Ring is hand tight and secure.
- Turn on the wall outlet switch and the pump and the system will return to the mode it was in before.
When mixing acid with water, ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID.
Eye Protection, mask and gloves should be worn when cleaning the cell.